Hello my many followers (mom),
This is more for posterity and my personal edification.
My time in NZ is literally 36 days away, and I have written 3 blogs in the entire time I've been here. I feel guilty about the situation, and at this point in time would like to say that my memory will be good enough in years to come that a picture or name will bring me back to the times I had within the context of the muse. I however realize that this is most likely a pipe dream, and senility will one day have an effect on my recall. So, this is my attempt to cover, in general, what I've done and where I've enjoyed most.
Auckland- you have done what many cities in the world cannot. Base yourself solely around privatization and denying a public transportation system to the 1.3 million citizens you engulf within your ever expanding grasp. I however find the adventure in this situation. Instead of allowing your lack of adequate transportation hinder and confine me, I have reached beyond your borders with friends out to where your urban fingers cannot taint the natural wilderness NZ embodies.
Piha and Huia out in the Waitakere Mountatin Ranges- have been such a beautiful place where only commuters from their million dollar lifestyle flats are willing to live because of the seclusion and far transportation, this makes for an ideal adventure spot only an hour out. The Hut out in the Waitaks owned by AUTC is absolutely the coolest hut in NZ. I've been to a lot of tramping huts, but this one has by far the most character. The signs on the wall from years past, some stolen from NZ roadways, some just reminding you of day to day life or the good old days where sign slogans weren't subtle about the information they were trying to convey. The Tasman sea laps at the shores of the west coast all along this mountain range offering some beautiful sunsets to those willing to wait for it. As the storms roll in, the sunset doesn't get any better... (to be continued)
No comments:
Post a Comment