Sunday, October 31, 2010

Music

Within Auckland I find Music, not just like a stumble upon a venue way of finding, though I guess there have been one or two of those. I'm talking about falling down on your face after tripping over something, to get back up and find that something is beautiful, amazing, and one of the most influential things in my life.
The Music scene here is not full of the cliche pop venues where you are paying an arm and a leg to go see a show. It is filled with back alley basements where you can find poppy folk music any given day of the week (The Wine Cellar). Roads that seem full of posh over priced clubs that maintain admittance standards based solely upon the souls of your shoes, too much character and you can't get into Ponsonby Road. However, within this posh night life you will find One2One, the original folk scene in Auckland Central. The Tuesday night open mic opened up opportunities, so that Dewey the banjo man, Krystal the harmony filled voice, and me the guitar guy that sings a mediocre lead so the other two can sing outstanding harmonies. The opportunities came with getting a Thursday night gig with the semi-professional artists of Auckland, a huge honor in this American boy's books.
Then there is the Thirsty Dog on K'rd (Karangahape), this place was our first taste of music in Auckland, well taste is an understatement, it was more like a buffet. The thirsty Dog every Monday night has an acoustic session in which everyone gathers in a circle, and plays whatever song is pressing on the back of their teeth or dancing in their musically experienced fingers. We assimilated into this grouping of people quickly as the leader of this band of gypsies, working class men, and Irish men from another time, were led by an interesting character that somehow embodies all of these aforementioned qualities, Bones, who just so happened to kind of like us. We played there from the second week we got Auckland till next Monday Nov. 15th. That will be our last time to all play together. It's pretty sad how fast it all goes by. the musical blending at the TD can be described as Irish traditional, folkie goodness, Bob Dylan-esk, Blues, Popular Contemporary that has been reformatted to the sound of more folkie goodness, and of course the occasional cliche everyone sing along guitar piece. I'm an American Boy, born and raised in the U.S.A, listen up folks i've got something to say, boy's I'm buying this round... It's sang every Monday night with a band of Irish Flutess to supplement. Basically, this place has given me the experience of a lifetime, I went every week, and never once regretted the time I spent there.
Busking is also a process that was new to me here. Busking- playing on the streets for no one but yourself in hopes that everyone likes the same stuff you do and would be willing to give you money in support of the music you like. Dewey, Krystal, and I decided one night to go down outside of a hopping street full of night clubs, stand outside, and play for all the drunk passerby's leaving or entering the clubs. It was more fun just having all the drunk people request songs like a 'Hill-Billy as country song' or 'do you know how to play that one song like "Do do dooo Bahhh"'. Sadly, I knew which song the second person was talking about at the time, I didn't know how to play it though. This opened up another door for us though! Playing outside of Margaritas the club owner came up and asked if we would be willing to host an open mic on Wednesday nights at one of her other bars.
Nacho's was the new establishment. It had a down home warm atmosphere inside with a Texas Country decoration style. We started playing there the first week with just us and some friends watching. Then the next week some more new faces came by, and in the third week we had about 5 different musicians playing with us, and then got to play with a wrap group after it was all said and done. Not to mention you get paid to do all of this, and they give you free Sol beer as long as you are there.
Looking back there were other minor times that I got to play along with some people. Claire's Inn, Krystal and I got invited up on the stage to play a couple songs. Then there is always the random jam sessions we would have in my room or in the commons of Krystal's room.
With all the playing we did, I also found some cool bands here as well.
Hold Dear
Fat Freddy's Drop
Anika Moa
The Eastern
Naked and Famous
Kids of 88
Will Saunders and the Lowest Fidelity
There are probably many more that I've heard that just didn't have an album out yet at the time, but I wish I could listen to all of their stuff.

That's about it for now. I'll update this one later probably...


1 comment:

  1. Trey. For some stupid reason, this is the first time I've read your blog.
    Love it.
    You create such beautiful, magical imagery with your rhetoric. Keep it up.
    And thanks for all the music suggestions!!

    ReplyDelete